Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Can't sleep so here's a post!

So per what I said in an earlier blog and a request by a friend, I'm gonna tell you about my little town. It's bigger than Whitesburg but not much really. I'm a little over an hour from Greenville, MS and close to supposedly 9 miles from Louisiana. I've haven't checked the last one out yet. Maybe next week! Well, there are a few little parks here and there throughout town and even a small zoo that is free the public. I don't have pictures of those just yet! Basically it's your average small town!

The main employer here is Georgia Pacific. I'm told it's a paper mill. The are certain parts of the day that you can really smell the factory and I'm even a couple miles outside of town but I'll get used to it. The coal trucks I used to see on the road have now been replaced with logging trucks. Although, I've only seen a few while driving around town but I know they come here.

Farming and rodeos are big here also. There's a big rodeo here in about two weeks so I look forward to checking it out and posting about it. Many of you may be thinking me going to a rodeo might be strange! As a young child on the family outing to PA I remember going to some rodeos when my cousins showed horses so I'm excited to check it out. Maybe I'll find me a cowboy! Ha!!!!!


Farmland. You guys know that I like to grow things so you might guess that I like farms as well. My uncle joked that when I moved here I'd be moving with chicken farmers. I've only seen one chicken farm so far! My county has cotton, corn and I think soybean as the three most produced crops. The day that I came here I was treated with a little surprise while driving. What's that surprise? I got to see the planes that spray the fields in close up action. I even squinted as I saw one dart close to a car on the road. No worries though. I wish I could have gotten a picture of that but failed on that one. Darn paying attention while driving!

Ashley county has it's fair share of farms from what I've seen but it also gets very forest like the closer to town that you get. The trees are so tall in spots and gorgeous. There is one spot in particular that I find breathtaking and I find a picture I'll post it.

Last but not least, I did travel a little going towards El Dorado, Arkansas. Most of my other town travels have been in Monticello, which is about 45 minutes north of me. It's a small college town. There is a branch of University of Arkansas there. Back to the trip towards El Dorado though. The goal was just to drive around and not really go anywhere. I did however find out that I'm only about 10 minutes from a national wildlife refuge. It's pretty and I have no pictures....yet. I still have time before school starts!

Enjoy the pictures from my travels!


The best decorated hotel room in Jackson, TN!


Remember when I said I was tired from driving? It wasn't even daylight when I started out on my second day of driving towards Arkansas.


Yes, I'm generally amused that I passes signs that talk about Hollywood in Mississippi.


To me, this is about the only thing exciting about Tunica. I didn't even get to go in because it wasn't open when I drove past the last time! Oh well, I thought the building was cool!


 I'm not much of an architectural buff but I do like admiring bridges. I think that the bridge that crosses into Arkansas is gorgeous!



Another shot of the bridge as I cross over the Mississippi River.



Corn field....one of the few that wasn't literally golden from heat.


Potentially a soybean field. Sorry it's blurry.


Bins.


Cotton field (I think) and forest in the back.


I'm pretty certain this was taken in Mississippi but I couldn't resist because it's a John Deere. P.S. My family only uses John Deere equipment on the farm.


Pictures don't do this spot justice! This is the little area coming from Monticello, AR that is right outside of Crossett. The final fact of the night is that apparently Crossett is the forest capital of the south....or so a sign says!


Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment